Thursday, March 19, 2020

ANIME REVIEW: Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution 1 (Movie)

I recently watched Eureka Seven: Hi-Evolution 1, the first reboot movie of the Eureka Series and honestly I don't think anyone that hasn't watch the original anime should watch this. A lot of it and I mean basically the entire thing, is centered around events that happened in the anime. Even if they do kind of go back in the past and talk about Renton's father it's not really...
Well it's not for anyone new, barely jumping in on it now. It's definitely for fans of the series. Now I'm a huge fan of the Eureka Seven Series. This is probably one of my top favorite Mecha series up there with Gundam Wing and like Gundam Seed Destiny.

Now, I'm conflicted because I was liking it at first, but it's a lot of recap and going back and forth over the time when he spends time with the Beams family. I don't know, It was good at the start because it was new material and you could even tell by the animation style that it was new material. It went deeper into what happened with Adroc (Renton's father) and Eureka, like how they escaped and why he did what he did. Now though, it's definitely a bunch of copy paste from the anime of Renton's time on The Swan and the Beams family (around episodes 22-25 in the anime).

None of the rest of it, except for the first like, 20 mins was new material. It's all stuff I've already seen in the series. I'm kind of sad because I really wanted to like it. I really do like the series but right now I'm just kind of like, "oh it's just recap". Legit, it's not even reanimation it's recycled, copy/paste of the series.
They repeated the same scene almost three times... not really clarifying what the point was. We already learned all of this. Renton's time with the Beams and why he left Gekko State and why he got Disillusioned with Gekko.

Thinking back on it, I'm so annoyed with it. I wanted to love it. I was liking it because it was a little bit different when it started but after it was the same as the episodes (22-25) of the series!! It didn't move forward from that at all. From the point of where he realized the Swan was after the Gekko to get Eureka. And then, why then, Renton also left the Swan to go back to the Gekko.

When I first heard about this movie, I was under the impression, like most anime movies, that it was going to be a bit of retelling (So like a repeat of the anime but different script/view) and then new material, but this is just literally the same episode repeated! Nothing was different from episodes 22-25 of the anime. The only thing that was different is the specific details of how Adroc created the first Summer of Love

I honestly don't know if I want to watch or buy Hi-Evolution 2 movie. I am so disappointed with this. Again, I was expecting something else like a retelling but like new animated version of what we learned, like the usually do and then some original/new content. Even the first movie that was like, trashed wasn't this bad. I believe it was called "Eureka Seven: Good Night, Sleep Tight, Young Lovers"

Man.. I'm so mad. I can't get over it because I just love this series so much! It's totally one of my go-to anime. I was expecting something way better than what they gave us. I had so much potential. With how much they advertised it and promoted it as new material and new view at this certain part of the series, man this was garbage.
Look, this is what it says on the back of the movie;
Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution 1 Movie Blu-ray/DVD from studio Bones returns for the first movie in a high-flying trilogy.

Ride the trapars and take to the skies once more! The revolutionary mecha anime returns with the story that was left untold—the earth-shattering incident where Renton’s father disappeared. With Eureka by his side, only Adroc Thurston could undo his own mistake. Now, ten years later, Renton finds himself in the care of his father’s old friends and facing a decision that will change everything.

Doesn't this sound like it's new!?
As a fan, if you're a fan and reading this, doesn't it sound like it's something we've never seen before?!
So again, I did watch the trailer. I did know that he was going to be with the Beam's family, but it sounded and looked like it was going to be something new! But it's not! You can totally just find the anime and watch episodes 22-26 and you'd have watched the movie. The only thing that was new and different and well, cool, because it was interesting was watching Adroc and Eureka escape. Also how he came to be the "Hero" and how he was involved with the First Summer of Love.

Just.... ugh... I'm so very disappointed. Not at all what I was hoping for when I bought it. I mainly got it because I was like... "Eureka Seven?! Hell yeah! I freaking love this series! Of course I'm going to buy it!" lol.....
Honestly, I regret it. I definitely do not suggest you buy this unless you're a huge fan of the anime (even then, maybe not. I got it because I thought it was something new...). It's really not worth it. Truly a recycled material movie and a waste of money.

I'm going to leave a little bit of redemption space and give it the benefit of the doubt. I'm going to hope that the second movie is better and new material. I'm going to definitely wait to get all the reviews in for the 2nd movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment